Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

http://www.azvets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Dogs-Eat-Grapes.jpg

Many owners are considering natural foods, including fruits and vegetables, to offer their canine companions instead of commercial dog treats - especially given the recent studies showing that commercial dog food can shorten canine lifespans as much as 8 years.

While some human foods are fine for dogs when given in moderation, others can be highly toxic to their systems. It is imperative to familiarize yourself with the dangerous foods in order to prevent a devastating scenario.

Some of the foods to be avoided include onions, garlic, foods sweetened with xylitol, avocados, chocolate and macadamia nuts. Grapes and dogs are a potentially deadly combination.

GRAVE CONSEQUENCES OF EATING GRAPES

While it remains a mystery which exact component of the grape poses toxicity in dogs, the consequence of grape consumption is clear. Grape ingestion results in kidney failure. It is unpredictable to know how each dog will react when eating grapes.

Some dogs might eat a few grapes without issue, and then become gravely ill the next time they consume grapes. Others fall victim with their very first grape snack.

Any dog, regardless of size, age, breed or gender, can be stricken with the fatal toxicity of kidney failure accompanied by an inability to produce urine. There are no safe grapes for dogs. From red or white to seedless or not, all grapes pose the same toxic threat.

SIGNS AND TREATMENT OF GRAPE TOXICITY

If your furry scavenger manages to help himself to some grapes, symptoms of grape toxicity will appear within 12 hours after ingestion.

The first symptom of vomiting may occur within the first three hours, followed by diarrhea, a lack of appetite, severe lethargy, weakness and dehydration. As kidney failure develops, he will be unable to pass a normal stream of urine. Ultimately, he will stop urinating altogether and succumb to kidney failure within three to four days. Prompt and aggressive treatment is the only chance to save your dog.

If you suspect that your dog consumed grapes, you must contact your veterinarian without delay. This is a situation that requires immediate intervention and treatment before the grape’s toxins are absorbed by his body.

The first course of treatment involves ridding the toxins from your dog’s system.

To accomplish this, vomiting may be induced, activated charcoal may be administered and fluid therapy may be implemented. Hospitalization follows with continued fluid therapy, medication to maintain urine flow and daily diagnostic tests to monitor the kidneys and their blood values.

If your dog eats only a few grapes and receives treatment before the toxins have been absorbed into his tissues, he will have the best chance for recovery. Once the kidneys have begun to fail, the prognosis is poor. Kidneys are unable to regenerate or repair themselves. Some dogs that recover from grape toxicity may incur permanent kidney damage.

AVOID TRAGEDY WITH DILIGENCE AND INQUIRY

Since dogs have indiscriminate palates, the only way to prevent toxicity is to be conscientious about food storage.

Keep all foods that pose toxicity threats out of your dog’s reach. If your garbage hound insists on taking a trash can inventory on occasion, dispose of kitchen waste in containers that are kept beyond his access.

Since a number of foods that we consume without issue are hazardous for your dog, play it safe. Do not offer your dog any human food without consulting your veterinarian first. He will be able to tell you if a food item is safe for your dog’s enjoyment.

Trying to feed your dog naturally can certainly benefit his health in the long term (especially given how dangerous commercial dog foods can be for canine health), but many human foods can be dangerous for dogs, so exercise caution. 

AVOID THE WHOLE GRAPE FAMILY

In addition to banning grapes from your dog’s menu, do not give your dog raisins. Raisins are simply grapes that are dried and more concentrated, and they have demonstrated the same toxic results in dogs as fresh grapes. If you bake homemade biscuits for your dog, refrain from tossing raisins into the mixing bowl, and do not share your raisin cereal with your furry friend. Do not offer your dog grape juice, grape jelly or frozen grape fruit popsicles.

Wine is made from grapes and contains alcohol, making the beverage a toxicity nightmare for your pet. If you are hosting a social gathering at home, make sure that your guests understand that they should not offer your dog anything to eat or drink. Some individuals who are uninformed find it amusing to offer a dog wine or beer and then watch his drunken swagger. Alcoholic beverages are toxic for pets, and can result in seizures, coma and death. Hops, which are used to make beer, are also poisonous to your dog.

SAFE FRUIT ALTERNATIVES

Dogs and grapes spell trouble, but there are a number of fruit alternatives that are safe for your dog to snack on in moderation.

Some of these fruits include blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, bananas, watermelon, pineapple, apples and pears.

Unless you plan to cut up the fruit for your dog, stone fruits should be avoided

Yuya Tamai

The pits of peaches and plums contain toxins, and any stone or pit can cause intestinal obstruction. If you plan on carving the flesh from the stone before presenting the fruit to your dog, then peaches, plums, apricots and mangoes are fine.

Get The Essential Checklist Of Foods Dogs Cannot Eat

Do you truly know what foods are dangerous for dogs?